Use the search filter below to find community events, workshops and fundraising events in your city.
- This event has passed.
4/24, 5/1 & 5/8 INTERRUPTING OPPRESSION
April 24 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
3 Saturdays: April 24, May 1, May 8
10:00-11:30am all dates
At IMPACT we believe that oppression is a form of violence, whether it’s based on race, ethnicity, sex, gender, ability, age, or any combination of these and other perceived characteristics. This class series introduces tools and considerations for interrupting harmful words or behaviors and provides a safe space for practicing. Because of the progressive nature of this series, we ask that you commit to participating in all three dates.
In this series, you will learn:
- Internal skills for noticing oppression
- Grounding techniques for regulating our own emotions
- How to identify and set boundaries with strangers, acquaintances, and peers
- De-escalation techniques to deter assault and harassment
- Best practices for bystander intervention when witnessing oppression
- Considerations for making the decision to interrupt
- Specific strategies for interrupting bias and microaggressions
We will practice the skills in role plays against a mock assailant to boost confidence for real-world interactions. We know these are tough conversations — that’s why we practice. Open to participants of all genders ages 18+.
Suggested donation $30-90 for the full series, no one turned away for lack of funds. Donate at impactbayarea.org/donate.