Use the search filter below to find community events, workshops and fundraising events in your city.
Advocacy as a Nonprofit Workshop Series
July 28 @ 9:00 am - August 25 @ 12:30 pm
As COVID-19 continues to exacerbate systemic inequities and increase the needs of girls* sitting at the intersections of racism, sexism, and other oppressive forces, the call for us as nonprofits to pursue advocacy as a necessary vehicle to change unjust systems has become increasingly clear. And as governments and policymakers move to approve local budgets in the coming months, advocating for girls* and the organizations that support them is more important than ever to ensure that their voices and needs are centered.
Join us for an engaging workshop series on how to pursue advocacy and advance policy change as a nonprofit, in partnership with Alliance for Girls member Planned Parenthood of Mar Monte (PPMM) and led by Cheri Greven, PPMM’s Public Affairs Director for Sierra / Sacramento / San Joaquin / East Bay region. Together we’ll learn about the legal framework for advocacy and lobbying as a nonprofit as well as effective strategies for statewide and local campaigns, digital advocacy, and mobilizing people to advance systemic change.
Specifically, this workshop series will provide:
- An overview of the legal framework for 501(c)3 nonprofits to pursue advocacy, including what actually constitutes as lobbying and what that looks like in practice
- Practical and effective strategies for engaging in statewide and local campaigns, digital advocacy, and community mobilization
- An exploration of case studies from organizations actively pursuing advocacy, including Planned Parenthood Mar Monte, The Unity Council, Equal Rights Advocates, and Alliance for Girls
- Opportunities to discuss and apply these learnings with fellow participants, and learn together
- Technical assistance to support introduction, navigation, and implementation in your organizations
- A closing digital workshop to touch base, debrief, and share effective practices
Whether your organization is considering pursuing advocacy or is already actively engaged in it, you’ll leave with greater awareness, tangible tools, and strategies for advancing policy change on issues impacting girls and their communities.
Workshop Series Schedule:
Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 9:00am-12:30pm
Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 11:30am-12:30pm
Virtual Technical Assistance Session
Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 11:30am-12:30pm
Virtual Closing Session
Register here: http://bit.ly/NonprofitAdvocacySeries
- Alliance for Girls
- (510) 629-9464