Use the search filter below to find community events, workshops and fundraising events in your city.
- This event has passed.
Demystifying Advocacy for Nonprofits
September 24, 2020 @ 12:30 pm - October 22, 2020 @ 1:30 pmFree – $43
As nonprofits and service providers, advocating for girls* and our critical programs is more important than ever to advance our missions, and ensure that girls’ voices and needs are centered during the current crises and beyond. But for many organizations, the uncertainty around the rules of engaging in advocacy and the amount of capacity it may require are often barriers to participating in the process. The truth is, we have a lot more flexibility to actively pursue advocacy and more specifically, lobbying, than one might think.
Join us for Alliance for Girls’ next engaging workshop series, Demystifying Advocacy for Nonprofits, kicking off on Thursday, September 24th, hosted in partnership with Alliance for Girls member Planned Parenthood Mar Monte (PPMM). Led by Cheri Greven, PPMM’s Public Affairs Director for Sierra / Sacramento / San Joaquin / East Bay region, we’ll learn about the differences between advocacy and the much more narrowly defined activity of lobbying, what they look like in practice, as well as practical ways for engaging in statewide and local campaigns, digital advocacy, and mobilizing people to advance systemic change that centers girls.
- Get an overview of the legal framework for 501(c)3 nonprofits to pursue advocacy and what actually constitutes as lobbying, with guidance from a skilled attorney
- Learn practical and effective strategies for engaging in statewide and local campaigns, digital advocacy, and community mobilization
- Explore case studies from organizations actively pursuing advocacy, including Planned Parenthood Mar Monte, Equal Rights Advocates, and Alliance for Girls
- Have opportunities to discuss and apply these learnings with fellow participants
- Receive technical assistance to support introduction, navigation, and implementation in our organizations
Whether your organization is considering pursuing advocacy or is already actively engaged in it, you’ll leave with greater awareness, tangible tools, and strategies for advancing policy change on issues impacting girls and their communities.
- September 24, 2020 @ 12:30 pm
- October 22, 2020 @ 1:30 pm
- Free – $43
- Event Categories:
- Alliance for Girls Events, For Adults, Workshop Series, Workshops
- Event Tags:
- advocacy, advocacy campaigns, centering girls, communications, digital advocacy, lobbying, organizing, systems change, training
- CA United States
- Alliance for Girls
- Planned Parenthood Mar Monte