Use the search filter below to find community events, workshops and fundraising events in your city.
- This event has passed.
Virtual Members Meeting
May 26 @ 9:00 am - 12:30 pmFree
Join us on Tuesday, May 26th, for our (virtual) Members Meeting, one of Alliance for Girls*’ hallmark events where more than 100 members of AFG (including service providers, community leaders, parents/caregivers, girls, and other girls’ champions) come together to learn from one another and inform the direction of the Alliance.
The COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted our communities and amplified deep inequities in our systems, and the need to center girls and gender-expansive youth, as well as the organizations who support them, is greater than ever. At the online Members Meeting, we’ll share findings from our ongoing girl-led COVID-19 research, learn from colleagues in the field on how to best transition programming virtually, and work together as we navigate the impacts of COVID-19 so that we can sustain ourselves and our youth in the short and long term.
At the members meeting, we’ll:
- Get the latest findings from our ongoing COVID-19 research on the experiences and needs of girls, gender-expansive youth, and the organizations that support them
- Center the voices and insights of leaders in Santa Clara County, which has been hardest hit by COVID-19 in the Bay Area
- Share strategies to create virtual programming that is responsive to girls’ needs
- Discuss how we’re envisioning our work for the summer and fall
- Connect, support one another, and celebrate our resilience
Joining us as the keynote speaker is:
Supervisor Cindy Chavez
President, Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors
Supervisor Cindy Chavez is President of the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors, representing more than a half million people in East, Central and South San Jose. She serves on numerous Bay Area boards including chair of the Valley Transportation Authority, the Caltrain Board of Directors, the Bay Area Air Quality Management District and the Association of Bay Area Governments.
Her visionary policies include everything from life after coronavirus, environmental issues, affordable housing, making Santa Clara County the first in the state to expediate the processing of rape kits to 30 days, bail reform, improved services for foster children, health care for all children and an extensive women’s agenda and policies surrounding sexual assault, human trafficking, domestic violence that has put Santa Clara County on the map. She is also leading a year-long campaign for the 100th anniversary of women’s right to vote focusing on voter registration and accurate Census 2020 numbers.
We look forward to hearing Supervisor Chavez discuss:
- How Santa Clara County is leading the way in supporting communities most impacted by the pandemic, including women and girls* surviving violence and abuse in their relationships and families
- Her vision for girls and gender-expansive youth during and after the pandemic — and how girl-serving organizations can play a key role
- Lessons from her collaborations with other Bay Area counties and the state that we can leverage to coordinate a rapid response network for girls and gender-expansive youth across the Bay Area and beyond
We’ll be hosting the Members Meeting on a dynamic, interactive teleconferencing platform, with opportunities to engage with speakers and colleagues through Q&As, a networking portal, and breakout discussions.
Stay tuned for more announcements about our incredible speakers and sessions!
*“Girls” refers to gender-expansive youth (cis girls, trans girls, non-binary youth, gender non-conforming youth, gender queer youth and any girl-identified youth).
**In an effort to support our community during this challenging time, we’re opening this virtual event up to members and non-members alike. This includes Alliance for Girls’ members, school partners, and other youth-serving organizations and advocates. This event is free.