Dear Alliance for Girls community,
We know these are urgent and challenging times. As we are trying to keep our families and communities safe in the face of a rapidly progressing pandemic, many of us find ourselves trying to redouble our efforts to serve our communities, clients and organizations. It is too much for any individual to do alone. It is only in community, through mutual support, care and love, that we are going to get through this. This is why the Alliance for Girls was built. We are here for you. We are here to hold space for you. We will get through this together.
Alliance for Girls is taking this threat to our health and community wellbeing very seriously. While our office is closed through April 7th, our staff are working remotely with all hands on deck to provide programming that can support you, our members, our school partners, and the girls and gender-expansive youth you serve during this difficult time. We will be reassessing upcoming meetings and responding to what our community is telling us is most important. Please find our initial actions below:
- Online convenings to learn from thought leaders in the field on how to keep your nonprofit running, and your girls safe, in the time of COVID-19, as well as opportunities to share resources with one another and be in healing community together. Our first online convening/call will be this Thursday, March 19th, at 2pm. (Sign up here.) We know many of you are home with children, and we can provide suggested curriculum for them to do while you join the call. These convenings will be free and open to members and non-members alike.
- A girl-powered curricula and resources to support parents/caregivers during school closures. Alliance for Girls is compiling a resource guide of our members’ online videos and downloadable activities – make it a social justice homeschooling week! We’ll also let you know which organizations still have doors open and services running during this time, so the most vulnerable among us have somewhere to go or access to emergency response funds and aid.
- Gaining insight into the sector-wide impact of COVID-19 on girls and girls’ organizations. This short 2-minute survey is a critical tool that we can use to support you. Help us gather some key information such as:
- If your organization or program is remaining open for young people during this time
- How the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting girls and gender-expansive youth you serve and what support they need
- How the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting your organization and what support your organization needs
- The estimated monetary or financial loss for your organization or program due to COVID-19 (e.g., canceled fundraisers, services, or events)
By painting a regional picture of what girls, girls’ organizations, and schools need during this time, we can in turn ensure that while communities rally to meet the needs of those most impacted by the pandemic, the needs of girls and gender-expansive youth are centered.
Please let us know how else we can support you so we can better create program and awareness campaigns that will benefit your work during this time. We are in this with you.
In community and love,
P.S. If you have not yet filled out our Girls’ Champion Survey that will inform our work for the next few years, please do so here. We know you have many priorities right now, and AFG is interested in supporting your immediate and long-term needs, the latter of which is the focus of our Girls’ Champion Survey.
*”Girls” refers to gender expansive youth (cis girls, trans girls, non-binary youth, gender non-conforming youth, gender queer youth and any girl-identified youth).